Themes underpinning our work
Certain key themes and passions underpin all the courses we deliver:
- The Therapeutic Relationship People change within the context of relationship.
- Harm Reduction Harm Reduction is concerned with minimising the negative impact of drugs and alcohol on individuals and communities. We have specialist courses to help people embed harm reduction strategies in every element of their work.
- Stages of Care There are a number of clear stages in the treatment and care of people with drugs and alcohol problem. These include screening, assessment, care planning, care plan review, discharge and aftercare. We have courses that look at all of them.
- Cycle of Change The Cycle of Change is a model describing how people change their behaviour - it is used to underpin many theories behind treatment. We have courses that can be used to help anyone at any of the 6 stages of the cycle.
- Relapse Prevention is about helping clients to say within their treatment goals whether they be controlled usage or stopping all together. These courses look at practical techniques that workers can help clients integrate into their lives
- Mental Health and Well-being issues Many clients have some kind of mental health issue as well as a drugs or alcohol problem. These pages look at some of the common concerns and suggest a range of courses that may be useful.
- Client-centred care- Nearly all services would claim to be ‘client-centred’ but what does the term mean?